River Road Driving Tour
Osborne House
2100 River Road


G-V, Mar. 21, 2007

Standing at the intersection of River Road and Berry Hill Road at the site referred to as Osborne's Corner is the Victorian residence built by John R. Franklin in 1885.

The architectural style is Queen Anne, with a high-pitched roof, gingerbread, and broad porches. The house passed out of the Franklin Family in 1912, and after several owners was sold to W. S. and G. E. Osborne in 1928.

It remains in the Osborne Family with the current owners, Christine and W. R. Privette III, the great-grandson of Ruth Osborne & Major Crenshaw. Hense, the name "Osborne Corners."

In 1928. Garnett E. Osborne and his father. Wyatt Silas Osborne Jr. purchased the house and farm from a Guthrie family. Garnett Osborne and his wife, Maggie Anderson Osborne. enjoyed the home with their children, Alease, Elmer and Wyatt.

The farm was well suited for tobacco production and adjacent farms were purchased for tobacco and cattle. In 2004, the Osborne house and seven acres of land was sold to W.R. Privette an Osborne relative, and continues to be known as "Osborne Corners."

In the early 1700's, the land was owned by the John Kent family. An old two-story log cabin stands about 300 yards behind and to the left of the main house and is referred to as a Kent cabin. John Franklin bought the farm in 1892 and built the current house. He owned a sawmill and used the best timbers for its construction. The Queen Anne architecture follows throughout. The paneled walnut and oak stairwell, door and window facings and wainscoating in the dining room and hallways add a unique decorative effect.

The high ceilings and tall windows create coolness in the summer. Carved mantles and ceramic fireplaces add to the meticulous beauty of the home.

Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Privette III were married at "Osborne Corners" on October 15. 2005. and they have beautifully furnished the house. They live there with their three children. Jacob. Jessica and Amber. Jessica and Amber are both doll collectors. Jessica collects the Holiday Barbie Dolls and Amber collects porcelain dolls. They have never played with their dolls but display them on special shelves built below the crown molding in their bedrooms.

The rest of the family enjoys collecting antique cast iron frying pans of various sizes with lids, crocks, churns, dough bowls. old bottles, pitchers and all such things in contemporary to the age of the house. Mr. and Mrs. Privette have graciously agreed to open their home for the "Historic River Road Spring Homes Tour" sponsored by the Halifax Woman's Club on April 28 and 29. The proceeds from the tour will be used toward the restoration of the Halifax Masonic Lodge 96 A.F. and AM. in Halifax, Virginia.

The tour will include Berry Hill Plantation,Carter's Tavern, Arbor Baptist Church, Halifax Masonic Lodge, "Osborne Corners," the home of Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Privette III, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Eric Arthur Jr. and "Meriwether," the home of Cathy Doss.



The next stop - Berry Hill Mansion

Back to Map