5189 Oak Level Road
Redfield was built by John R. Edmunds, son of Henry Edmunds of Elm Hill and owner of 1,110 acres along Birch Creek. The Italian Villa style mansion was built with money Mr. Edmunds earned from the sale of grain.
The house with its formal facade, bracketed cornice and low wings connected by arched openings was completed in 1857.
The formality of the interior is emphasized by a monumental single run central stair in the entrance hall. This handsomely restored house is still owned by the descendants of Mr. John Edmunds.
The main structure of Redfield is nearly identical to the mansion known as Round Hill, and both homes were built during the same period.
John R. and Mildred Carrington Coles Edmunds had given to their son, Paul Carrington Edmunds and his bride, Phoebe Ann Easley, 864 1/2 acres of land on Polecat Creek, formerly part of the Springwood estate, on which to build Round Hill. Her parents, James Stone and Elizabeth S. Holt Easley, gave the money for its construction.
About 1.2 miles west of Sringfield on the right is - Creekside
Back to Map