Brooklyn Tobacco Factory|
Brooklyn. A relic of a leading Virginia industry, this plain but substantially built brick building is perhaps the states best-preserved antebellum tobacco factory, and is one of the few such structures remaining in the South.
Located in the heart of Virginia's bright-leaf tobacco belt, the two story factory was constructed around 1855 for the planters Joshua Hightower and Beverly Barksdale, probably by the Halifax County builder DabneyM. Cosby, Jr.
Uncommonly large for its rural location, the factory, with the use of slave labor, originally produced only plug tobacco but later made tobacco for smoking and snuff. Its whitewashed interior walls remain untouched since the enterprise folded in the 1880s. The enterior also preserves various specialized work rooms and remnants of original machinery. Following the factory's closing, the build has been used for storage.
(41-259) VLR: 10/18/95: NRHP: 01/22/96
|For comments, suggestions or
inquiries, email the Webmaster of Halifax.Com.
This page was last updated on 21 June 1997.